Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Observations from 1 Samuel, Number 2

"23 Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:
24 Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you." 1 Samuel 12:23-24
Here we see Samuel as an old man, having already (and with great reluctance) ceded his authority as judge to the new king, Saul. The beginning of the chapter shows the people validating his righteous leadership over many years, and earlier chapters demonstrate his obedience to God in anointing the king whom the people wanted...when they didn't want Samuel's wicked sons as leaders.

But his work was not done: He still had important duties to perform as prayer warrior and teacher. As a father, these duties will be mine for as long as I walk this earth...even though my children are still young. Certainly, too, there are others whom I should teach and for whom I should pray.

The work of teaching and prayer is, in part, to help the younger generations glorify and praise God. May we do that faithfully.

No comments: