Saturday, September 8, 2007

Say It Ain't So, G.I. Joe!

Today's nauseating dose of political correctness:

Apparently Paramount is going to be making a new G.I. Joe movie sometime in the next year or two. (Read the article here.) Instead of the lead character being a tough, macho, American soldier, he is to be morphed into G.I.J.O.E., Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, "an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys." A "wider, more international audience" is sought, because, after all, in today's international political climate, a real-looking U.S. soldier might not fly.

I'll let you read the article if you want (here's another link). I have never been a particularly strong fan of the G.I. Joe action figures; but if you, like me, consider American soldiers to be honorable figures worth promoting on the national and international stage, you will not enjoy this article too much. It is sickening to see the disrespect shown toward American soldiers by such a portrayal.

I don't attend movies. But if I did, I and my family would boycott this one. I wouldn't buy any of the inevitable toys/games/paper plates/action figures/clothing/junk/knockoffs of it at my local Wal-Mart (or any other retailer). I cannot imagine myself supporting a movie that does such disrespect to what everyone in America ought to recognize as a wholesome figure: The American soldier, doing good.

Support and pray for the American military.

No comments: