Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hymn of the Week Top Ten Countdown

The wealth of hymns in the English language is a great musical treasure. I have been thinking for some time about this question: If a "greatest English-language hymns of all time" list were compiled, which hymns would be on it?

Picking a "Top Ten" list must of necessity leave out some absolutely wonderful pieces of music, so I came up with a list of criteria for consideration:

  • The hymn must be well known (and loved) across a wide swath of American denominations.
  • The hymn must have both an easily recognizable melody (or melodies, as some hymn lyrics are sung to multiple tunes) and doctrinally accurate lyrics.
  • The hymn must have been around for some length of time.
I gave this some thought and put a list together. I will unveil the list, in the traditional tenth-to-first order, on Wednesdays and Sundays beginning July 1.

My list is still open to revision, however, so if you would like to make some input, feel free to leave a comment. If you are a lover of hymns and know a little of their history, speak up!

In the meantime, let me leave you with one verse of a hymn:

Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart,
Draw me, my Savior—so precious Thou art!
Fold me, oh, fold me close to Thy breast.
Shelter me safe in that “Haven of Rest”;
Shelter me safe in that “Haven of Rest.”

1 comment:

Brenda Brough said...

Oooo....this is going to be fun!!! How do I choose though??? Let me see here.....hmmmmmm......