Monday, August 3, 2009

Top Ten Hymns: The Runners-Up

Here is a collection of absolutely wonderful hymns that I like, but which I could not squeeze into the Top Ten list (alphabetized by title). One stanza of each is included:

Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed? (Words by Isaac Watts [Refrain by Ralph Hudson]; the most common tunes are Martyrdom by Hugh Wilson, which omits the refrain, and Hudson, by Ralph Hudson, which includes it. Also goes by the title At The Cross when the refrain is used)

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?
[originally, For such a worm as I?]

Refrain

At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name (Words by Edward Perronet. It is one of the few hymns sung to three widely-recognized tunes: Coronation by Oliver Holden, Diadem by James Ellor, and Miles Lane by William Shrubsole)

All hail the power of Jesus’ Name! Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all.

At Calvary (Words by William Newell, Music by Daniel Towner) Here is the final stanza and refrain:

Oh, the love that drew salvation’s plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span at Calvary!

Refrain

Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty at Calvary.

Battle Hymn of the Republic (Words by Julia Ward Howe; Music source unknown) Here is the little-used fourth stanza:

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.

Jesus Loves Me (Words by Anna B. Warner; Music by William Bradbury) Many people don't think of this as a hymn, though it is; it is, along with Amazing Grace, one of the two most recognized Christian songs in the world. It also contains one of the simplest and most easily understood doctrinal statements on the earth: "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.

Refrain

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross (Words by Isaac Watts; Music: Hamburg by Lowell Mason) Meditate on this final stanza:

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Care to contribute one to the list? Leave a comment!

Past Entries in this Series:

Top Ten Hymns Countdown #1: Amazing Grace

Top Ten Hymns Countdown #2: Holy, Holy, Holy
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #3: The Old Rugged Cross
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #4: Great Is Thy Faithfulness
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #5: A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #6: To God Be The Glory
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #7: Onward Christian Soldiers
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #8: How Great Thou Art
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #9: It Is Well With My Soul
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #10: All Creatures of Our God and King

Introduction

No comments: