Sunday, August 2, 2009

Top Ten Hymns Countdown #1: Amazing Grace

Anyone knowledgeable about hymns who looked at the last entry in this series could probably have figured out that Amazing Grace surely had to be #1. It is probably the most popular and best-known hymn in the English language.

That "Amazing Grace" about which John Newton wrote was incredibly apparent in his own life. In his youth he was a sailor who became godless and reprobate. He eventually commanded a slave trading ship. Once he was saved, he experienced that grace of which he wrote and eventually became a minister in England. He served God for many years thereafter.

Newton wrote lyrics to many other hymns (perhaps the best known of which is Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken) but none is remotely close to the popularity and ubiquity of Amazing Grace. Meditate upon these words—all seven stanzas—and if they mean nothing to you, consider and accept God's grace that He offers freely to all of us.

Coming tomorrow: The Runners-Up

Amazing Grace

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.

Past Entries in this Series:

Top Ten Hymns Countdown #2: Holy, Holy, Holy
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #3: The Old Rugged Cross
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #4: Great Is Thy Faithfulness
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #5: A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #6: To God Be The Glory
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #7: Onward Christian Soldiers
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #8: How Great Thou Art
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #9: It Is Well With My Soul
Top Ten Hymns Countdown #10: All Creatures of Our God and King

Introduction

No comments: