Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hymn of the Week: When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

Luke 2:30: "For mine eyes have seen thy salvation..."

So says Simeon when he beheld the Savior of the world in the arms of His parents in the temple. I know that a song exists that begins with these words (but I could not find it today):

Mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
My heart has been cleansed by thy grace...

It really is a great song (please feel free to let me know if you have a source for these lyrics). But it got me to thinking if there were any hymns with this idea for a title.

Again, not that I could find. But I was reminded of this classic verse from a famous hymn:

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Let us remember Who we are "looking at": The King and Creator, the One Who was both the babe in the manger and the Savior on the cross.

No comments: