Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Specter Shows His True Colors

Sen. Arlen Specter, former Republican of PA, has finally decided to come out and identify himself for what he is: A Democrat. He is not a conservative; he is not principled. He sided with the president on the stimulus bill in February, which was the final straw for many of us (and I don't even live in PA anymore).

Specter has claimed to be independent. In a statement today, he said, "My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans."

Specter is an unprincipled liberal who has stood against conservative principles for years. Good riddance. I look forward to blogging about Sen. Toomey in 2011.

3 comments:

Brenda Brough said...

Well, at least he has decided to be honest about his political stance rather than have the Republican sign above his head, and then vote or behave the opposite. I wonder how much he got paid or benefited from switching since this practically ensures a filibuster proof Senate?

Ken said...

Good question, Brenda...I wondered that myself. A chairmanship, perhaps? Help in his 2010 Senate campaign?

The blogprof said...

Brenda - he did it to have even a chance at being reelected since the GOP voters were going to basically kick him to the curb next year.

Plus, it appears that Obama will campiagn for him, so that might be all it took. As is Specter's modus operindi, the switch was not based on any principal or value, but rather on a whim. Par for the course...