Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hymn of the Week: I'd Rather Have Jesus

One simple question: Would I rather have Jesus than all the other things mentioned in this hymn?

The words are by Rhea F. Miller. The tune to which they are sung was written by George Beverly Shea.

I'd Rather Have Jesus

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Refrain

Than to be the king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame.
I'd rather be true to His holy name

Refrain

He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs.
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead

Refrain

2 comments:

Brenda Brough said...

....and sung best by George Beverly Shay also...if I might add!!

Brenda Brough said...

Woops...that would be Shea..not Shay.