Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Iraqi Hockey Player

The Red Wings scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young Iraqi play hockey in the new American sponsored league, and is suitably impressed to arrange for him to come over to the US.

Ken Holland signs him to a one-year contract and the kid joins the team for the preseason. Two weeks later the Wings are down 4-0 to the Blackhawks with only 10 minutes left. Mike Babcock gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in.

The kid is a sensation - he scores 5 goals in 10 minutes and wins the game for the Red Wings! The fans are delighted, the players and coaches are delighted, and the media love the new star.

When the player comes off the ice he phones his mom to tell her about his first day of NHL hockey. "Hello mom, guess what?" he says in an Iraqi accent. "I played for 10 minutes today, we were 4-0 down, but I scored 5 goals and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me."

"Wonderful," says his mom, "Let me tell you about my day. Your father got shot in the street and robbed, your sister and I were ambushed, raped and beaten, and your brother has joined a gang of looters and all while you were having such great time."

The young Iraqi is very upset. "What can I say mom, but I'm so sorry."

"You're Sorry? SORRY!! You should be" says his mom, "It's because of you that we moved to Detroit in the first place!"

1 comment:

Brenda Brough said...

A lovely reminder of why I was really glad to move way far away from there!!! For most of my life I lived within 2 hours of that dreadful city and was always mortified and ashamed of the stories that came out of there. I know this is only a joke, but sad that Detroit has such jokes about itself!!