Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hymn of the Week: Lead Me To Calvary

It is currently the season of Lent. As I am Baptist, I do not celebrate Lent in any special fashion, nor do I change my eating habits.

But if anything, this time of the year should remind me all the more of what Jesus Christ did for me in dying on the cross on that Good Friday so many years ago...and of his subsequent resurrection on the first day of the week!

I suppose it might be theologically arguable (although I won't do it) that Christ could have come to earth in some manner other than being born of a virgin, and still saved man from his sins. [Of course, prophecy had to be fulfilled—and God saw to it that prophecy was fulfilled.] But it is absolutely not arguable that I could be saved from my sin without the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And hence we come to Calvary.

Without Calvary, there is no salvation. Without salvation, my eternal destiny is damnation in hell. Calvary should be something I thank God for daily. The words of this hymn should describe my attitude.

Lead Me To Calvary

King of my life, I crown Thee now,
Thine shall the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow,
Lead me to Calvary.

Refrain

Lest I forget Gethsemane,
Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary.

Show me the tomb where Thou wast laid,
Tenderly mourned and wept;
Angels in robes of light arrayed
Guarded Thee whilst Thou slept.

Refrain

Let me like Mary, through the gloom,
Come with a gift to Thee;
Show to me now the empty tomb,
Lead me to Calvary.

Refrain

May I be willing, Lord, to bear
Daily my cross for Thee;
Even Thy cup of grief to share,
Thou hast borne all for me.

Refrain

Words by Jennie E. Hussey, 1921

No comments: