Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is McCotter Nuts?!?

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, a Republican from Michigan, is apparently seeking support in Congress for a bill that would amend the Internal Revenue Code....tell you what: I'll just quote from a letter he sent to his colleagues:

"Dear Colleague," the letter reads.

"According to the 2007-2008 National Pet Owners Survey, 63% of United States households own a pet. Indeed, the human-animal bond has been shown to have a positive effect upon people's emotional and physical well being. In families with children, pets help to create a nurturing environment and provide ample educational opportunities. For people in later stages of life, pets offer important companionship. No matter the age of the owner, pets have been shown to reduce stress, safeguard against depression, improve social skills, and even ease loss.

"In light of this, please join me in becoming a cosponsor to H.R. 3501, the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act. If enacted, H.R. 3501 would amend the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) to allow an annual tax deduction of up to $3500 for qualified pet care expenses. Specifically, "qualified pet care expenses" would be defined as funds spent in connection with providing care (including veterinary care) for a legally owned, domesticated animal."
I first heard this on the radio driving home from work today (and in God's providence, I was stopped at a red light at that very moment, preventing me from driving my car off the road).

Sadly, liberals are having a field day with this—just as we Republicans often do with their loony ideas. Except this idea truly is loony! See examples here and here, if you care to do so.

Our tax code has more than its share of problems and certainly more than its share of illogical tax breaks for special-interest-related reasons. I'd rather see McCotter offer some sort of tax relief related to what I spend caring for the health care of the humans in my household. That would truly be a "HAPPY" day.

Tax breaks for pet care. Think about that.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Do I have to?? I don't have a problem with people having pets and caring properly for them. But our country seems to have an almost unnatural obsession with pets these days. Pet cemetaries, "Pets day out", insurance for pets, stores you can take your pets into. I don't really think that the Lord intended for us to substitute HUMAN companionship with animals. But that's the way America distorts things. Now, we have the government suggesting that you can be REWARDED for pet care, further supporting this distortion. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

LLee said...

Nothing could illustrate the bizarre priorities of the Republican Party better than HR 3501.

When 47 million Americans lack health care insurance and the Republicans are fighting tooth and nail against help for their fellow citizens, this looney bill would add billions of dollars to the deficit for pets. I wish I could deduct $3500 of the cost of my health care.