Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hymn of the Week: My Sins Are Blotted Out, I Know!

Yes, they are! The Bible teaches us that we can know that our sins are covered by the blood of Christ. We need only confess our sins and repent of them in faith—and Jesus removes them as far as the east is from the west (Ps. 103:12).

If you have repented of your sins in faith, be comforted in this. Meditating upon this thought should be a great encouragement to you.

If you have never repented of your sins, let this be the day you do so!

The words and lyrics to this song are by Merrill Dunlop (copyright 1927, renewal 1955).

My Sins Are Blotted Out, I Know!

What a wondrous message in God's Word!
My sins are blotted out, I know!
If I trust in His redeeming blood,
My sins are blotted out, I know!

Chorus:

My sins are blotted out, I know!
My sins are blotted out, I know!
They are buried in the depths of the deepest sea:
My sins are blotted out, I know!

Once my heart was black, but now what job,
My sins are blotted out, I know!
I have peace that nothing can destroy,
My sins are blotted out, I know!

Chorus

I shall stand some day before my King,
My sins are blotted out, I know!
With the ransomed host I then shall sing:
"My sins are blotted out, I know!"

Chorus

1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for posting the words of Merrill Dunlop's hymn. (Today is the 105th anniversary of his birth.) To learn a bit about the writing of this song, check my daily blog on hymns, Wordwise Hymns for today.

I do think, regarding how sin is dealt with, that we need to make a distinction between what the unregenerate are to do, and what born again Christians are to do. There is a judicial forgiveness, and a familial forgiveness.

The unsaved are called upon to put their faith in Christ, who has dealt with the penalty of their sins upon the cross (Acts 16:31; Eph. 1:7). The believer is called to confess his sins--meaning agree with God about them (I Jn. 1:9).

The unsaved are "condemned already" (Jn. 3:18) and threatened with eternal ruin. They are under the wrath of a holy God (Jn. 3:36). The child of God is delivered from the wrath to come (Jn. 5:24), but unconfessed sin in his life hinders his fellowship with God, robs him of peace and joy, and of spiritual power. It does not, however, cancel his sonship.