Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hymn of the Week: Tell Me the Old, Old Story

The theme of this song (at least, to me) is that we should want to hear that "old, old story" again and again—that story of "Jesus and His love."

It should never bore us to hear about Jesus Christ and what he did. It should never "grow old" to hear again that He was born of a virgin, that He lived a holy life, and that He died and rose again to provide the necessary sacrifice for our sins. We should never tire to recall how He loves us and blesses us.

And in addition to hearing the story, we should be always ready to tell those who have not heard it. Are you?

Tell Me the Old, Old Story

Tell me the old, old story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
Tell me the story simply, as to a little child,
For I am weak and weary, and helpless and defiled.

Refrain

Tell me the old, old story, tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story, of Jesus and His love.

Tell me the story slowly, that I may take it in,
That wonderful redemption, God’s remedy for sin.
Tell me the story often, for I forget so soon;
The early dew of morning has passed away at noon.

Refrain

Tell me the story softly, with earnest tones and grave;
Remember I’m the sinner whom Jesus came to save.
Tell me the story always, if you would really be,
In any time of trouble, a comforter to me.

Refrain

Tell me the same old story when you have cause to fear
That this world’s empty glory is costing me too dear.
Yes, and when that world’s glory is dawning on my soul,
Tell me the old, old story: “Christ Jesus makes thee whole.”

Refrain

No comments: