Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hymn of the Week: On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand

Where I live we have gotten about 7 inches of rain since Friday morning...and a tornado was in our area yesterday. This song came to mind.

No matter the weather, the trials, the hardships, the health, or anything else, our time here on earth is temporary. It is the time in heaven that should occupy our thoughts—the knowledge that a day is coming when we who are Christians will be "forever blest" to live in the presence of our Lord. This is a good cure for discouragement.

When we remember that our "permanent" home is elsewhere, and better...this life doesn't seem so bad.

On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand

On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand,
And cast a wishful eye
To Canaan’s fair and happy land,
Where my possessions lie.

Refrain

I am bound for the promised land,
I am bound for the promised land;
Oh who will come and go with me?
I am bound for the promised land.

O the transporting, rapturous scene,
That rises to my sight!
Sweet fields arrayed in living green,
And rivers of delight!

Refrain

There generous fruits that never fail,
On trees immortal grow;
There rocks and hills, and brooks and vales,
With milk and honey flow.

Refrain

O’er all those wide extended plains
Shines one eternal day;
There God the Son forever reigns,
And scatters night away.

Refrain

No chilling winds or poisonous breath
Can reach that healthful shore;
Sickness and sorrow, pain and death,
Are felt and feared no more.

Refrain

When I shall reach that happy place,
I’ll be forever blest,
For I shall see my Father’s face,
And in His bosom rest.

Refrain

Filled with delight my raptured soul
Would here no longer stay;
Though Jordan’s waves around me roll,
Fearless I’d launch away.

Refrain

No comments: