Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hymn of the Week: Breathe on Me, Breath of God

We are told in Genesis 2:7 that God breathed the "breath of life" into Adam, and he became a living soul. Thus man was created.

We are told in the New Testament that the Spirit, among other things, is likened unto a wind (Acts 2:2) coming upon believers.

Each day, we all need to be "filled with the life" that only the Holy Spirit can give, to empower us to live each day to please God. Although our salvation only occurs once, His power in our lives is something which we need daily.

Note the first verse also: When one is filled with the Holy Spirit in this way, He will love what God loves, and will do what God wants done. It is this which often separates the godly Christian from the carnal one.

Breathe on Me, Breath of God

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.

No comments: