Sunday, October 21, 2007

Thoughts on the Red Sox

With just a few outs to go, it appears that the (grrrr....) Boston Red Sox will be facing the Colorado Rockies in the World Series. My wife, a Cleveland Indians fan, and I, a New York Yankees fan, trying to think biblically about this, came up with a few verses that sum up our thoughts on the matter:

"Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?" Psalm 2:1

"Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause." Psalm 35:9

"But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied." Psalm 38:19

"22 Arise, O God, plead thine own cause: remember how the foolish man reproacheth thee daily.
23 Forget not the voice of thine enemies: the tumult of those that rise up against thee increaseth continually." Psalm 74:22-23

"Mine enemies reproach me all the day; and they that are mad against me are sworn against me." Psalm 102:8

Jeremiah, questioning the Lord about the wicked, asks, "Righteous art thou, O LORD, when I plead with thee: yet let me talk with thee of thy judgments: Wherefore doth the way of the wicked prosper? wherefore are all they happy that deal very treacherously?
2 Thou hast planted them, yea, they have taken root: they grow, yea, they bring forth fruit: thou art near in their mouth, and far from their reins.
3 But thou, O LORD, knowest me: thou hast seen me, and tried mine heart toward thee: pull them out like sheep for the slaughter, and prepare them for the day of slaughter." (Jeremiah 12:1-3)
And Psalm 108:13 is our hope for next season: "Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies."

No comments: