Saturday, October 13, 2007

Hymn of the Week: Mansion Over The Hilltop

Ira Stanphill's classic hymn reminds us of the importance of contentment, a theme through several recent posts. It is my riches in heaven that are more important, for they will not rust or become corrupted. What little I may have here is but a most minor sacrifice compared to the riches and blessings that await me some day, if I serve my Lord faithfully.

Our world today has it backwards. Completely backwards.

Mansion Over The Hilltop

I'm satisfied with just a cottage below,
A little silver and a little gold;
But in that city where the ransomed will shine,
I want a gold one that's silver-lined.

Refrain:
I've got a mansion just over the hilltop,
In that bright land where we'll never grow old;
And someday yonder we will never more wander,
But walk the streets that are purest gold.

Tho' often tempted, tormented and tested
And, like the prophet, my pillow a stone,
And tho' I find here no permanent dwelling,
I know He'll give me a mansion my own.

Refrain

Don't think me poor or deserted or lonely,
I'm not discouraged, I'm heaven bound;
I'm just a pilgrim in search of a city,
I want a mansion, a harp and a crown.

Refrain

No comments: