"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name." (John 20:31)In just a few moments of study, and with these two verses to catalyze the process, here are several thoughts about the name of Jesus Christ:
"9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Phil. 2:9-11)
- It is not to be blasphemed or taken in vain (Ex. 20:7).
- His name is "hallowed" (Matt. 6:9; Luke 11:2) and is to be "made holy" by us.
- All manner of spiritual things are to be done "in His name" (Matt. 18:5, 20; 28:19-20; Mark 9:41; Luke 9:48; Acts 2:38; 10:48; 2 Thess. 3:6; 2 Tim. 2:19; Heb. 13:15)
- Miracles were done by the apostles in His name (Luke 10:27; Acts 3:6, 16, 4:10; 16:18)
- Preaching is to be done in His name (Luke 24:47; Acts 9:27)
- Salvation comes through believing in and calling on His name (John 1:12; 3:18; Acts 2:21; 4:12; Rom. 10:13)
- Sanctification comes through His name (1 Cor. 6:11)
- Prayers are to be in His name (John 14:13-14; 16:23-24)
- Those who "hold fast" His name are praised (Rev. 2:13)
"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." (Col. 3:17)And there is much more! Take a little time to make a study of this yourself—it will be most rewarding.