Tuesday, February 17, 2009

One Last Facebook Note

This will be the last blog posting that I automatically send as a Note to Facebook. Why, you ask? In case you haven't heard, Facebook recently and quietly changed its terms of service that essentially say that they can do anything they want with anything I (or you) post on my (or your) Facebook page. Forever.

I'll probably be deleting some of my photos, too...although they are probably already captured somewhere permanently in the Facebook storage servers.

Privacy concerns are already a major internet issue, but it galls me that they would be so bold as to come out (OK, sneak out) and basically claim the ability to use everything I've put there in perpetuity. For the record, this is the key quote from the Terms of Service (see also related article):

The Terms of Service grants the company "an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or ... (ii) enable a user to Post."

Which, if I understand this correctly, means that they can do whatever they wish with my blog postings...until now. I may occasionally alert my Facebook readers—whoever they are—that there is something notable at my blog...but I will be highly cautious about posting the full content. I will also be highly cautious about photos I post, or other personal nature I share.

It also galls me that I was not more alert to this in the past. Grrr....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say have you read the latest news from Facebook? Looks like they've scrapped that "idea" and are going back to the old terms. Too much flack from their users. Good. I'm glad someone is listening to their "customers".

Ken said...

Yes, I saw it, and I agree with you. However, I have learned the lesson to be cautious with how much information I put on Facebook in the future!