Monday, October 27, 2008

Hymn of the Week: I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

The election next week could put ungodly leaders in control of our country. The stock market is erratic...on a good day. Winter is coming. Someone you know is sick, or has lost a job—maybe it's you.

There is certainly plenty of discouraging stuff out there. But even in the midst of discouragement, there is a God Who loves His children and cares for them and blesses them.

Consider these verses:

Psalm 23:4-5
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Matthew 6:25-34
25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
This hymn by Ira Stanphill reminds us of the truth that tomorrow is not for us to worry about; God Himself will help us through tomorrow if we put our trust in Him.

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

I don’t know about tomorrow, I just live from day to day;
I don’t borrow from its sunshine, For its skies may turn to gray.
I don’t worry over the future, Fore I know what Jesus said;
And today I’ll walk beside Him, For He knows what is a head.

Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

Every step is getting brighter As the golden stairs I climb;
Every burden’s getting lighter, Every cloud is silver lined.
There the sun is always shining, There no tear will dim the eye,
At the ending of the rainbow. Where the mountains touch the sky,

Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

I don’t know about tomorrow, It may bring me poverty;
But the one who feeds the sparrow Is the one who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me And I’m covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

No comments: