Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Thoughts on Modesty and Economics

Premise #1: Women, according to the Bible, are to dress modestly. This involves wearing modest clothing.

Premise #2: According to economic (free-market) theory, items which are high in demand will be supplied to the market.

My wife and I made (again!) the routine observation that it is difficult (but not impossible) to find clothes for adult women today which are modest. You may find them at thrift shops, Goodwill, or yard sales; on eBay; in a catalog; or if you're lucky, a major clothing retailer on rare occasions. (Perhaps you can afford to hire a tailor.) Why is this? Then I had a thought:

Is the demand for modest clothing so puny in the marketplace today, that manufacturers don't find it worthwhile to supply that demand? And if not, why not?

I will try to be more upbeat with my next entry....

No comments: