Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Eagles Inept? Yes. Ignorant of the Rules? Apparently So.

Consider the following two quotes from members of the Philadelphia Eagles following their 13-13 tie game with the woeful Cincinnati Bengals yesterday:

This first one comes from quarterback Donovan McNabb, who went 28-of-58 with three interceptions and a fumble:

No one was more surprised than McNabb that it ended so soon -- 3 hours, 46 minutes after the opening kickoff. The 10th-year quarterback thought it would keep going until someone scored, just like a playoff game.

Wrong.

"I didn't know that," said McNabb, who played a leading role in keeping it tied. "I've never been part of a tie. I never even knew it was in the rule book. I was looking forward to getting the opportunity to get out there and try to drive to win the game. But unfortunately with the rules, we settled with a tie."
The second one comes from the head coach, Andy Reid:
"I've never been in a tie, so I don't know how this works in the standings," coach Andy Reid said. "I know it's not good enough. We need wins, and this is not a win."
He doesn't know how this works?? The quarterback doesn't know that tie games exist in the NFL?? I could have explained these to them when I was in tenth grade! Read about the entire five quarters of Eagles ineptness here.

2 comments:

RightMichigan.com said...

I refuse to believe these guys are being serious. They must have known the rules and were trying to make a point about how silly the concept of a tie is in the NFL and then it got out of hand.

That's got to be it, right? Right? Please?

--Nick
www.RightMichigan.com

Ken said...

Nick,

Don't forget, many of these same people do not seem to know the basic laws of our civilization, either (assault, public drunkenness, et.al.); I've also noticed that personal money management seems problematic for some.

Thankfully, some of them are alert to the rules of the game and of life.