Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hymn of the Week: Does Jesus Care?

Today at our church we heard a message from Matthew 6 on why we should not fret and worry. The message was excellent and biblical; I may include its points in a future blog entry.

This hymn is closely related to the theme of that message: We need to remember that not only does Jesus know what is going on in our lives, He knows how it will end up and He wants to use each day's events as vehicles for us to get into the habit of having faith in Him.

Frank Graeff, the author of this hymn, went through a period of great trials and discouragement before finding strength in God's Word (see 1 Peter 5:7) and writing this hymn. Here are the words he wrote:

Does Jesus Care?

Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress
And the way grows weary and long?

Refrain

Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?

Refrain

Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief there is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?

Refrain

Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbye”
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks,
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

Refrain

No comments: