Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hymn of the Week: Springs of Living Water

This past week I spent some time roofing a house. And when the afternoon sun came out, there's just one thing to say: It was hot up there!

And when the time came to take a drink, that felt good. Refreshing. Satisfying.

But after a little more time, another drink was necessary. It would also feel good, and refreshing, and satisfying.

Compare that to what Christ said in John 4:14: "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

Once we are saved, and have that salvation which is so often compared to "living water," we will not thirst again. Salvation [what we theologically refer to as "eternal security"] is a once-for-all-time matter. It is "refreshing" to know that we can always trust in this.

But, if one does not accept the living water freely offered to all, he will go to a place where there is no respite from the heat, and no quenching of thirst.

These words are by John W. Peterson.

Springs of Living Water

I thirsted in the barren land of sin and shame.
And nothing satisfying there I found.
But to the blessed cross of Christ one day I came.
Where springs of living water did abound.

[Chorus]
Drinking at the springs of living water
Happy now am I
My soul they satisfy
Drinking at the springs of living water
Oh wonderful and bountiful supply

How sweet the living water from the hills of God.
It makes me glad and happy all the way.
Now glory, grace and blessing mark the path I've trod.
I'm shouting "Hallelujah" every day.

Chorus

O sinner won't you come today to calvary.
A fountain there is flowing deep and wide.
The Saviour now invites you to the water free.
Where thirsting spirits can be satisfied.

Chorus

No comments: