Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hymn of the Week: Fairest Lord Jesus

The word "worship" today may be one of the worst-mangled words in all of American Christendom. So much today is "called" worship that is nothing of the sort.

The words of this hymn beautifully portray one essential and important part of worship: Publicly exalting the Lord Jesus Christ for Who He is and What He has done. As the first stanza says, "Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor"...such should be at the heart of our relationship with Him. Nothing is like Him; no other thing, animate or inanimate, is worthy of the glory and honor He truly deserves.

The hymn was originally written in German and was translated into English by Joseph A. Seiss in 1873. However, the original translation is not the one found in many hymnals; the original is titled "Beautiful Savior" and is found under that name in many Lutheran hymnals. Both are given below.

Fairest Lord Jesus

Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature,
O Thou of God and man the Son,
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul’s glory, joy and crown.

Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Fair is the sunshine,
Fairer still the moonlight,
And all the twinkling starry host;
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
Than all the angels heaven can boast.

All fairest beauty, heavenly and earthly,
Wondrously, Jesus, is found in Thee;
None can be nearer, fairer or dearer,
Than Thou, my Savior, art to me.

Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration,
Now and forever more be Thine.

Here is the "original" translation, often titled "Beautiful Savior":

Beautiful Savior, King of Creation
Son of God and Son of Man!
Truly I’d love Thee, truly I’d serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my joy, my crown.

Fair are the meadows, Fair are the woodlands,
Robed in the flowers of blooming spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
He makes our sorrowing spirit sing.

Fair is the sunshine, Fair is the moonlight,
Bright the sparkling stars on high;
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
Than all the angels in the sky.

Beautiful Savior, Lord of the nations,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, Praise, adoration
Now and forevermore be Thine!

No comments: