Thursday, June 21, 2007

Christian Education: Opening Thoughts

This is planned to be the first in an occasional series of entries on the topic and importance of Christian Education. I tried a number of days ago to come up with a one-sentence philosophy of Christian Education which could be used as a starting point on the subject; here is what I wrote:

Christian Education exists to provide a quality Bible-based education that is Christ-centered, academically excellent, and well-rounded, enabling the student to daily serve Christ and become more like Him.
I have spent 17 years in CE as a student and 14 years as a teacher, and, during the last five years, as a parent. My wife and I are quite adamant that our children will not go to public schools, or attend any school where the philosophy of education is substantially different than what I just wrote above. If that means our only remaining option is to homeschool, we will do that. God has given us our four children and we have the mandate to rear them properly in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord" (Eph. 6:4); schooling is a huge part of this.

For Christian Education to be truly Christian, in harmony with my definition above, several things must be true. That is the purpose of this series of entries.

No comments: